Skip to main content

The Upside of Unrequited by: Becky Albertali


I listened to the audio book for this one and I think it was quite fitting.

Synoposis by Goodreads:

"Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back. 

There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?"

This is the first book by Becky Albertali I have read and I really enjoyed it!

There isn't a lot of critique for this one except that the pace was slightly slower at the beginning. But on the other hand, some might say it help build the atmosphere and suspense of the story even more. I think it definitely benefited the character building of the storyline. It really depends on what the reader is looking for. If you are up for a fast paced, suspense filled action read to fill up a long boring day, then this not what you'd want. However, like mentioned above, this is the perfect book to listen to. For example while doing some casual sports like hiking and cycling? Or while finishing everyday chores like cleaning the bathroom? There's nothing better than an extremely relatable storyline to keep your own day enjoyable.

Which brings me to my second point. I love how simplistic and relatable this book is! It's almost as if Molly could be you and all those things that she is facing are things that happening in your life too. This gave a sort of Fangirl vibe when I read it. Part of it was because of the twin thing and Molly being the shy and introverted one. Part a huge part of it was because of the style, settings and conversations of the book. There wasn't a single moment that makes you cringe at how cliche or unrealistic it was.

The writing wasn't especially unique or vivid, but I think it was quite beneficial to the as it left out any unnecessary descriptions.


Overall, I really like the normality of this book and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves contemporary YAs.

Have your read it? Please comment your thoughts below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hate U Give by: Angie Thomas

I just finished reading The Hate U Give and it was phenomenal. This book has definitely become one of favourite books of 2017.  There aren't many YA books that include African - American street communities, but this one captured it perfectly.  I won't elaborate too much in the story because its sort of a whole journey with surprises that will be ruined if I tell you too much. It is quite a slow paced book but it somehow manages to always keep the suspense at its highest. This book was impossible to put down! The story includes a lot of controversial on police brutality, racism and shows us how not everyone who ends up in prison is a bad person. I has given me a whole different perspective on that matter. It was beautifully written. Despite, the author didn't seem make a big deal out of empathizing the secondary characters throughout the storyline, we really get to witness their unique personalities.  Although it is categorized as a YA book, I think it is me

The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn - Duo-logy By: RenĂ©e Andien I just finished this duology and I can even think right now. The brilliance of this series hasn’t even sunk in yet. This is a truly wonderful piece of work which has torn my heart out of my chest. The writing is so rich and vivid and it just takes you on this unexpected and so beautiful adventure. Every word is so carefully thought out and it just perfectly flows and set the story’s Arabian scenery in the Golden age. I will only summarize the first book. The story is a fairytale retelling of 1001 nights. Although this one is of a much more complicated storyline. The Caliph of Khorasan, who is known the monster of a king, marries a new wife every day and every dawn they are found dead with a silk cord around their neck. Sharhrzad, who’s best friend was recently murdered by him volunteers to be the next wife. To seek revenge. She uses her ability to tell the most captivating stories to stay alive the first da

The Graveyard Book inspired bookmark

I made this bookmark when I was in a Christmas mood so it looks quite wintery. I'd added my favourite quote from The Graveyard Book, which I had read recently.