Skip to main content

Heartless by: Marissa Meyer


This book crushed me. I only have myself to blame for it though, as I hadn't prepared myself for the ultimate ending I knew would come to be.

For some reason, I hadn't expected to enjoy this book as much. Which is surprising, because the series: "The Lunar Chronicles" also by Marissa Meyer, is one of my favourite. There were some flaws. But I ended up still loving it. So much as to have persuaded me to read the original story that inspired this Prequel retelling: "Alice in Wonderland". Although I have seen the movie, I have never actually read the book.

First of all, I would like to start off with the negative. The only main things with dragged this book down slightly was Cath's character at the beginning and the storyline.

This story follows the well respected lady Catherine, has the interest of the King and is undoubtedly going to be asked for her hand in marriage. Cathrine is a simple girl, who wants nothing more than to start a bakery with her maid: Mary Anne. Although she may have had struggles at the beginning, that is nothing compared to the unimaginable world of possibilities she is dragged into after meeting the new court joker: Jest.

He is everything you could wish for in a love interest in a story such as this. Jest is charming, mysterious, chivalrous and surprisingly gentle. Which is why I found it somewhat unrealistic that he would be attracted to Cath, who was quite unworthy of him.

The introductions of Cath's character was very well done, she had a passion for baking and was far from seeing eye to eye with her parents on the life she wanted for herself. However, as the story developed, I didn't really see her standing up for herself or her beliefs. This was slightly disappointing as I love a strong female protagonist who isn't afraid to fight for what she wants.

The other small problem I had was the transition between the peaceful start story and the crazy world which gave us a strong wonderland vibe. It gave me the impression of being a very lighthearted romance, but when it turned out to be much more, which is a good surprise, but the change was quite abrupt and sudden. So many things happened towards the end of the story and I wish it'd been more spread out to the previous parts of the story, which were quite slow paced.

With all that being said, I don't even know how to begin on the positives.

I loved the wonderland vibes created in this book and how the readers got to discover this version of it alongside the characters. The author was so creative in making the surroundings and details fit with the original story but at the same time, adding some new elements and twists in the background stories.

The writing was magical and the descriptions so well formed this helped bring this amazingly brilliant story to life. I would recommend it to anyone who loves cleverly twisted retellings and vivid lands of the impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hate U Give by: Angie Thomas

I just finished reading The Hate U Give and it was phenomenal. This book has definitely become one of favourite books of 2017.  There aren't many YA books that include African - American street communities, but this one captured it perfectly.  I won't elaborate too much in the story because its sort of a whole journey with surprises that will be ruined if I tell you too much. It is quite a slow paced book but it somehow manages to always keep the suspense at its highest. This book was impossible to put down! The story includes a lot of controversial on police brutality, racism and shows us how not everyone who ends up in prison is a bad person. I has given me a whole different perspective on that matter. It was beautifully written. Despite, the author didn't seem make a big deal out of empathizing the secondary characters throughout the storyline, we really get to witness their unique personalities.  Although it is categorized as a YA book, I think it is me

The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn - Duo-logy By: RenĂ©e Andien I just finished this duology and I can even think right now. The brilliance of this series hasn’t even sunk in yet. This is a truly wonderful piece of work which has torn my heart out of my chest. The writing is so rich and vivid and it just takes you on this unexpected and so beautiful adventure. Every word is so carefully thought out and it just perfectly flows and set the story’s Arabian scenery in the Golden age. I will only summarize the first book. The story is a fairytale retelling of 1001 nights. Although this one is of a much more complicated storyline. The Caliph of Khorasan, who is known the monster of a king, marries a new wife every day and every dawn they are found dead with a silk cord around their neck. Sharhrzad, who’s best friend was recently murdered by him volunteers to be the next wife. To seek revenge. She uses her ability to tell the most captivating stories to stay alive the first da

The Graveyard Book inspired bookmark

I made this bookmark when I was in a Christmas mood so it looks quite wintery. I'd added my favourite quote from The Graveyard Book, which I had read recently.